Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Best Phone Ever

The Apple iPhone!
(I don't feel like including a picture; I am sure everyone knows what it looks like)

Yes, it does live up to the hype.

The best thing about it is that nothing on it is a gimmick. While the iphone copycats boast having a "touch screen", I noticed that they still have those annoying hard keyboards. So essentially, it negates the idea of a touch screen in the first place. The iphone seamlessly combines everything-keyboard, navigation, phone, internet, ipod, email, without any extraneous pieces. There is no need for another keyboard, because the iphone virtual keyboard works just fine. In fact, I like it a lot better than the standard keyboards on phones like the T-Mobile Sidekick, or the new Samsung phone. The iphone keyboard can be made larger or smaller. Capitalization and punctuation are a snap. And, it feels like you're really typing on it. I do admit that those with larger fingers may have more trouble adjusting to the keyboard, but it's a lot better than using the numbers to write text messages! No need to press the key 4 times to get the letter you want. I find that I am much more efficient at texting than I ever was before.

Another cool thing: the internet. The iphone picks up any wireless network in the area, but in the event you don't have that, it uses the AT&T network. While this network is slower than most Wi-Fi, it is a lot better than nothing! I can easily go on Wikipedia, check my gmail, and check facebook (it has its own special site for the iphone!) It's as easy as pie to just press the button and sail to the page.

The included ipod is another nice feature, but since I don't really listen to music, I don't use the ipod all that much. However, it does have all of my recent playlists, and the syncing with itunes is a snap.

Did I mention itunes? Yes, the iphone syncs with itunes, so it's ridiculously easy to update it. I love itunes, and have had it for several years now, so the switch just made things even easier.

You have to use an iphone to get how awesome it is. Once you do, you'll wonder why you used anything else.

By the way, the new Samsung phone ad made me laugh. I highly doubt it will be an 'iphone killer'. Anyone remember Microsoft's Zune MP3 player, the "ipod killer'? Ha. I didn't think so. I mean, yeah it's still around, but it's kind of lame, and not nearly as streamlined as the ipod.

The unique thing about Apple is it does things first. Apple was the first to introduce the ipod, with its scrolling wheel that was far superior to other mp3 players. So everyone copied it, or made some variation. The same is happening with the touch screen. Sure, other companies will now have touch screens. But do they have the same sleek design and ease of use? It doesn't really look like it.

So that's my ad for the iphone. I plan on buying the 3G model when it comes out. I love this phone, and it was worth every penny.

Also, I am not actually a fan of Apple computers. However, at school, we will be getting new ibooks. Which is kind of cool. The coolest thing is that these ibooks can run Windows and Mac. I will be running my parallel desktop in Windows mode only. No Mac OS for me. My allegiance to Apple only extends to the audio/phone department.

No comments: