Monday, March 8, 2010

A Note About the Oscars

I got home about halfway through the Oscars last night. I was ok with that, because I found the whole broadcast utterly boring. Hosts were not funny. The horror montage was lame-and scary. I don't like horror movies. And the presentations of the awards took way too long.
Oh, and Sandra Bullock DID NOT deserve that Oscar.
No way, no now.
I am so upset about The Blind Side and how it has been distorted. I will save that rant for another day, but here is a tidbit that I hope people realize: The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game is a book by Michael Lewis. It's about football and the evolution of the right tackle position. And it is the story of Michael Oher. It is not a story about the rich white woman who took in a poor black boy, despite what the movie may have you think. The main character of the story is actually Michael Oher, not Leanne Tuohy, which was the role played by Sandra Bullock. I refuse to watch a movie that makes such a mess of the original source material and turns it into a feel-good tale of redemption.
This is the problem of reading. I read too many books, and then hear that they are turned into movies that completely ruin the story. Like the movie "21" based on the book "Bringing Down the House." argh.

I am happy about a few things though.
1. Avatar did not win anything major. I have never seen the movie, and I have no desire to do so. I'm just glad it didn't win. I have an unreasonable dislike for blockbuster movies. See: Titanic.
I think I also have an unreasonable dislike for James Cameron. But perhaps that's reasonable. The guy just seems like a jerk.

2. Glad the Hurt Locker won for so many things, even though I also have no desire to see that movie. Realistic war movies don't do it for me.
3. SUPER GLAD that Christoph Waltz won for Inglourious Basterds. I LOVED his performance in that movie. And yes, I am a Tarentino fan. I was prepared for the blood and gore. Even though I didn't necessarily like it, the story was so good and the acting so amazing that I can easily handle some exploding heads. And besides, the ending was awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.