Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Word on Figure Skating and the Olympics

I am happy for the Chinese pair that won the figure skating gold medal. I thought they were fantastic. I am not one to watch figure skating. I get bored after about a minute of watching them twirl. Yeah, the jumps are exciting, but they are rare, especially in pairs skating. The rest is just emoting and waving your arms around and looking intense.
Here is my one question: Why is the US so terrible at pairs skating? Both of the US teams were pretty bad. Yes, I know, I just said pairs skating is boring, but some emotion is better than just skating around with a partner!
They were graceless. Empty. Lifeless. No passion.
And they weren't even very good technically speaking.
I think part of the problem is that they have a 16 year old out there. Come on, 16 year olds are ok for singles, but in a pair? I just didn't buy it. To me, they looked like randomly selected pairs. Why wasn't Amanda Evora skating with her guy-whatshisname? Seems like that would make more sense and produce some more sparks on the ice.

I am sorely disappointed. And the NBC critics were hilarious as well. They kept saying things like "Well, this is the chance of a lifetime. They have learned so much." Nothing about the actual quality-because they were terrible! And had no chance of winning a medal.

We need to STEP IT UP!
However, I think I will watch men's skating. Now there are some jumps!
As for the women, I don't even know who the top US contenders are.
I may watch the women, but again, in an Olympics where events last 20 seconds or so, I simply don't have the patience to sit and watch a 4-5 minute routine set to sappy/annoying music.

Lastly, I am loving the Olympics in general. Even with NBC's terrible broadcasting. I love the excitement of competition! The agony of defeat! The massive wipeouts on the ski hills and on the ice!
I did NOT enjoy the luge. I was very sad about the whole thing, and I could not believe that NBC kept showing the footage of the young Georgian luger. That was awful and exploitative. I refused to watch it, actually, and I switched the channel when it came on and avoided all internet links to video.
Other than that, I have been enjoying myself. It's great timing-just when we are in the lowest pit of winter, out comes the Olympics to set everyone afire with passion!

It has even motivated me to start running-outside in the cold! If they can be outside racing around, then I surely can stand a few minutes of running outdoors!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh, so much to say.

Yes, we were not so hot at pairs. In regards to your suggestion about Amanda skating with Jeremy - that could work, however, only if they'd been long term partners in skating. They can't just randomly pair-up/change partners - there's a huge complication to getting used to one's specific partner's body type/center of gravity/style, especially with the lifts, throws, etc. You probably already knew this, but just sayin'.

I wish our pairs teams were better - I found Shen and Zhao and the beautiful german couple to be so lovely.

Our women, unfortunately, are not expected to contend either - but we will have Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu.

I LOVE figure skating - but again, you probably already knew that.

That's Not My Name said...

Thanks, now I know who to watch with the women!