Friday, June 6, 2008

Living at Home

I'm seriously done with the political stuff.

But anyway, I was intrigued by Jaime's post.

So here is my response: my former best friend (from back in middle school) lives at home. She is 25. She has worked at 3 different jobs in the last 3 years and has a degree from ISU in fashion marketing.

Another acquaintance lives at home and works as some sort of account representative (not accountant). She has a degree in management.

Another lives on her own and couldn't afford to pay rent, (music teacher in a western suburb) so she had to take a second evening job at Hallmark to get by.

My good friend that I've known since I was born is a teacher who got her degree from Bradley...I think she lives with her parents because she is an extreme saver and very attached to her parents. So it's cheaper, and easier for her.

Another person I know is a medical transcriptionist-degree from Oakton, lives at home.

For myself, I live alone, pay my own bills, and also live in the suburbs. I live near my parents out of convenience-it's nice to have someone to take care of my cat if I need it, and also nice to be able to have a place to go to dinner. While it's not the most exciting place in the world, I prefer it because I work in the suburbs, and I don't like commuting. So I plan on staying here. I of course, am a teacher, working in a suburban school district. I am very lucky.

Most of the people who live with their parents, I would think, would prefer to live alone. They simply can't afford it. I also think that the refusal to grow up is probably not applicable to most people. (although the previous best friend mentioned above is pretty immature)

Jobs don't pay as well as people think they will pay. There are numerous surveys done with college freshmen-they think they'll make $100,000 with a Bachelor's degree. That is hardly the case.

Most people I know from Big Ten and Ivy League/Small Private colleges do, in fact, live on their own and can afford to do so. I won't make any conclusions about that. Take it for what you will.

The other people I know who live in the city are the friends of my significant other. They are all accountants. Accounting is perhaps one of the most steady jobs around. And it pays extremely well.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Piper - where are you?

More importantly, when are you going to come hang out at my apartment?